Many macOS newbies especially those have experiences in using Microsoft Windows feel that it is very difficult to move to the Desktop quickly in macOS. Show Desktop is basic function in MS Windows from starting. It is a small button in Taskbar in Windows XP and earlier version or you can access it easily by clicking at bottom right corner of the Taskbar (Vista, Windows 7 and older version). Therefore, many complain from macOS users that the feeling of moving, minimising all the windows of running apps to show the Desktop is terrible. Right?
In fact, Mac solve this problem in a smart and smooth way:
– If you are using a Macbook (Mac Laptop), using spread with thumb and three fingers gesture to jump to the Desktop immediately.
– How about in iMac or Mac Pro – the devices with keyboard and mouse without trackpad.
Hot corner is the solution
Actually, from OS X Tiger version, Mac has a very interested function: Hot Corners helps you do this function with mouse. Generally, this function allow you run an action when moving mouse to one of four corners of the desktop. Let’s start:
1. Open System Preferences -> Mission Control
2. From Mission Control windows, choose Hot Corners button (in bottom left)
3. A small window will pop up where you can choose the action for each of four corners from the list. Completing this step, when you move the mouse to the corners the action will be launched.
- Mission Control, Desktop, Dashboard, Notification Center, Launchpad, Start Screen Saver, Disable Screen Saver, Put Display to Sleep: It does not need to explain more. The name of action is enough clear what it will do.
- Application Windows: This action means that when you are running an application with many windows of this app, moving the mouse to the corner where this action will happen, you will see a list of all running windows of this app. They are showed as small windows grid and you can choose the one that you want to move to.
For example: You open 5 documents for working at the same time in MS Word and top-right corner is Application Windows action. When you are working in one of five documents in Word and you want to move to the other one, simply move the mouse to top-right corner of the desktop, a list of 5 documents will appear for choosing.
That’s all, from now, you can jump to the Desktop, switch through opening windows of one app or other functions with one very simple operation: moving mouse to the corner.